Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Best 4th of July Ever - 2009

My best 4th of July morning started early. My daughter and I decided to walk the Paducah Greenway Trail on Friday. Given the heat index, we opted for a 7 AM departure. The trail is 3 miles long (roundtrip).

My daughter spent the night at her friend's home. She called me at 630 AM to be sure I would come get her. I got to her friend's home a little after 7 AM. She was outside waiting. We stopped and got a power drink.

We started the walk and headed down the trail. It was a beautiful morning. It was not hot and we only say three other people on the trail. The trees were green and I think we saw 5 or 6 different birds.

It has been a long time since I have been on a trail. I decided it was time to block out TVs, cell phones, internet, ect. distractions. You could hear cars on part of the trail. Most of the noise was birds singing and trees rustling in the breeze. Occassionally, you heard water running under a bridge. In short, I wanted to hear nature.

Of course I got to hear one of nature's most beautiful creatures - my daughter talked almost non-stop. As she said "Daddy, I had alot to say." I now know her favorite Mexican fast food restaurant (Taco Bell), her favorite dancers on her dance team, alot about her friends, cheerleading, gymnastics, several conversations that started with "I have a question", ect. What was most interesting to me was her observations about her dance team partners and other people. She told me which dancers she thought had really outstanding techniques. When she talked about gymnastics she noticed how good some of her friends are and the discipline exhibited. I was impressed with the way she looked at people and celebrated their accomplishments. That is a wonderful outlook and I credit her mother. Looking for the good in people is a wonderful attribute and one I hope she never loses.

Late in the morning I took my son and his friends to lunch at Steak and Shake. I should have stuck to my tried and true favoriite - Frisco burger. Sometimes exploration is not good. Anyway, James' friend from SC is here. He plays on the varisty team and is the strong safety. He is a good kid, very smart. Sometimes when I look at a smart kid (or any kid) you hope they have every opportunity to reach and exceed their potential. He has alot, I hope he achieves it. What is hard to get kids to understand is attitude is absolutely critical.

Side note, one of my son's friend talked about Iraq and the fact the country had so much internal. hatred. My son said the names of the largest sects. I was very proud of him. (If I could spell them, I would include them on this note).

No comments:

Post a Comment