Tuesday, November 26, 2019

New Job - Observation Three - the Hum of a Beehive

This is the third and last post on my new job.  In my previous job I worked in one of the newest buildings in County and enjoyed a second floor view.  You may have seen posts of the view when it snowed.  At the maximum employment, the office of economic development has 13 employees. By and large it is very quiet. 

Now I work in County Complex, a development with five county buildings. I am in a two story building, it is called 5 County Complex.  My cube is on the first floor with a view of the courtyard and 1 County Complex.  

A couple of hundred employees work in 5 County Complex. Many citizens come to the building to discuss future plans, permit a business, or review public works project. The first floor has a large seating area for applicants seeking a permit for a home improvement, starting a business, or other activities.  Within this area are approximately 15 counters manned by County staff.   

It is a beehive. Halls are filled with people, conference rooms are almost always booked, and we have a diner in the basement.  

The early morning is when I hear the floor gear up.  It is quiet when I first arrive. I might hear a pot of coffee brewing. Within each 5 minute increment, I can hear more noise. And then it tops out in 30 minutes. I can hear conversations from a couple of the counters, a copy machine churning out paper, conversations in the hallway about business or a customer inquiry, and people walking the halls. In short, the low hum in a beehive.  

And I love it. 

1 comment: