Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Enabler

We all know them and we do not like them. They change our life; they interrupt our natural flow of energy and events, they force change.  They make most days far more challenging.  Even worse for me, I am married to one. She is a major enabler of the worst kind.  She is relentless.  Like a bulldog with a big bone.
For those of you who know her, I think I can guess your first two questions. Her? How so?
Well, I am glad you asked.  In a somewhat consistent and continued effort to become healthier, she was and remains a constant challenge. (Please note the word somewhat.)
For example, I decide I need a snack and reach for the cookie jar or chips. What does the enabler do?  She points out the fruit she bought at my request. And ever so sweetly says I should eat it before it spoils. 
I decide I want to start riding my bike; the enabler buys a bike rack.  Of course I complain about attaching it to the car during a breakfast of healthy cereal with a banana. When I go back outside, the bike rack is on the car and my bike is on the rack.  The enabler smiles and reminds me to wear my helmet. 
Or, I come home from work and dither on running. The enabler smiles at me and quietly says but you will feel so much better, you always do after a run.  When I say I may not have anything to wear, the enabler finds running attire.  
Yes, she is an enabler.  My excellent and prepared reasons fall on deaf ears.  The enabler sees them for what they are. The excuses are quickly and cruelly pointed out in a Southern belle/Texan manner.  She allows no quarter and does not tolerate any half-hearted response.  No, I have absolutely no reason not to continue my self-improvement.  I am married to the enabler.

No comments:

Post a Comment