Saturday, October 6, 2012

Enjoying the Newspaper

It has been years since I subscribed to a newspaper. Most of the news I consumed was in an electronic format.  When I went to my parents’ home for Christmas, I read the Wall Street Journal paper every day.  When I went back to work I would read the Wall Street Journal early in the morning. 
We subscribe to the Washington Post.  It is not favorite paper. However, I must admit that I enjoy reading it in the morning.  The writers are very good and George Will’s column is always a treat.  Best of all, it is an enjoyable way to start the morning with Morning Joe playing in the background. 
Saturday and Sunday editions are the best.  Long stories, book reviews and special sections.  Great with a cup of steaming hot coffee.
The stories are in depth.  Last week I read an excellent article on how bicyclists and automobile drivers can co-exist.  My wife suggested that I read that article. Most importantly, I learned a new term, “doored”. It means when a car driver opens the door and a bicyclist can hit it and injure himself.
When I read the paper, I wonder if it is a lost form.   My son was the sports editor of the high school paper during his senior paper.  And I think a number of the students read the school paper. But as they go to college, do they read a newspaper?  I suspect not.
Newspapers read different than news on a mobile device.  With a newspaper you can scan the headlines and first paragraph to decide if you want to continue. You can also quickly review the other stories on the pages and see if anything catches your eye.  The pictures can also compel you to read the accompanying article.  You can pass a good story to someone else and continue reading other parts or sections of the paper.  Try doing that with a mobile device.  Perhaps most importantly, I can rattle the pages of the paper when my daughter asks me for anything. Try doing THAT with a mobile device!  So a newspaper has a real utilitarian value for those who have loud and demanding teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment