Monday, January 16, 2012

What is Happiness?

First, I do not have an answer for you. 

Second, I was thinking about this on my run today in the Manassas Battlefield Park.  Before I left I watched Gov. Perry on C-SPAN. He was at the CAFEMOM Forum. CAFEFORUM is a website (I think) designed for mothers.  Frank Luntz moderated the session. After a few minutes, Gov. Perry's wife was invited to join him on the stage.

One of the questions asked to Gov. Perry is what do you want for your children.  Gov. Perry said I want them to be happy. All parents want that, but I thought it was some what vague.

As noted earlier, I thought about that question on my run.  Here is my answer to my children:

-I cannot tell you what happiness is. In fact it is like beauty.  What I can offer you are simple observations that have helped me on the path to happiness. 

-About the only direct aspect of happiness I can offer is this:  it changes as you get older, acquire wisdom, and knowledge.

-I want you to have a strong and vibrant relationship with God. You do not ever have to be alone.  He always listens, but may not give you the answer you want to hear.  Your life will be more robust and balanced with Him in it than without Him.

-I hope you find a significant other who will appreciate your strengths and compliment your weaknesses.  This person should be kind, intelligent, and honorable.  

-I hope you find a profession that you are passionate about. One that lets you contribute in a unique way.

-I hope the bosses you work for during your life appreciate and reward you for your hard work and effort, should you actually work hard.

-Find an outdoor activity you can do regularly, like running in a park or hiking a trail. Do not wear an iPod or similar device.  Listen to the sounds, it may be kids, leafs rustling, water running in a stream, an animal moving in the park, etc.  It gives you a chance to clear your head. Think of it as active meditation.   

-Try to exercise regularly. It will do wonders for your mind and body.  Even more important, it beats most medicines or any other man made option.  Besides, sweat washes right off.

-You will sadly experience pettiness on a regular basis.  I hope you can forgive and move on. 

-I hope you have a couple of friends you can talk to and spend time with. 

-Contrary to popular culture, money does not buy happiness. However, financial security may allow you to explore more options. 

This is not an exhaustive list.  None of these may actually bring you happiness, but I think these may help make your journey easier. And always remember, your parents' love is always with you no matter how many mile separate us.

No comments:

Post a Comment