Thursday, January 26, 2012

30-45 Minutes and You Can Completely Change Your Outlook

Some days I am overwhelmed or tired or stressed or any combination of these.  You know what I am writing about and probably experienced it yourself. I can have trouble concentrating or exerting any degree of discipline. Most of the people I know get this have different ways of handling it.

In my experience, and over many years, I tried several ways to overcome these feelings. It included eating (among the worst), watching TV, reading, listening to music, driving on an interstate, writing in either a journal or blog, meditating, resting with my eyes closed, etc. 

By far the most effective way for me to overcome the blues is exercise.  I always feel better and my outlook is far more positive after a run and/or lifting weights.  From what I have read, and this is a layman's take, exercise works like a stimulate by releasing certain chemicals that provide a mental and physical boost. As far as I can remember, exercise in some form has seldom, if ever, failed me.  That is why I was not pleased last weekend when we had ice and snow on the ground and I could not run. Since I have been in Northern Virginia, that was the first weekend I have not hit a trail.

This week I gave in and ran on a treadmill after I lifted weights. Treadmills are not my preference.  It was okay, but not as much nearly as enjoyable.  I think I miss the scenery and sounds on a trail.  The scenery on a trail can be quite beautiful and different. More memorable runs include seeing deer and stunning birds.  Once I saw a recenly discarded snake skin.  The sound of my shoes crunching on the ground or leaves just makes me smile. Other sounds are leaves on trees rustling, birds chirping, and squirrels moving in the forest. Something about hearing the pounding on the treadmill takes away for the overall experience, especially if the treadmill squeaks every few seconds.

But, for me exercise gives me more energy, makes me feel better, more relaxed, and more alert. That is what I get from running and lifting weights. 

Yes, meditating is healthy, but actually more difficult for me.  However, for 30-45 minutes, I prefer a more physical exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment