Monday, May 16, 2011

Road Trip with My Son

After writing an entry about lunch with my daughter, it got me to thinking about road trips with my son.  He was dating a very nice and attractive young lady in another county. Almost every Saturday or Sunday, we would meet her halfway.  It meant about an hour trip for him, a two hour round trip for me.

Sometimes he would drive and turn up the radio. If he drove, I may or may not read my Kindle. Sometimes I would drive and he would listen to his iPod. Or one of us would drive and we would have a conversation.

Most of our conversations were about track, school or history.  He is taking AP history and I sure wish I was in class with him. His teacher is very good and I really enjoy the subject.

Sometimes during our drives he would make an insightful observation.  Or he would ask a very thoughtful question. I could see the gears turning. This is a fun time for me. He has interesting and serious thoughts.  One trait I see over and over is a sense of fairness.  Either from his comments or questions.

Some days I go over his history reading with him and I have helped him review for a history test. It is truly enjoyable watching him think about what he has learned and how he interprets it.  It is hard for me to describe here. I think I can best describe it as the feeling when a child shows independent thought and analysis.  This is a very time consuming, but rewarding.

He does not see the young lady from another county.  So our weekend drives are no more. However, I still do have AP history.

No comments:

Post a Comment