Friday, May 27, 2011

2011 State Track Meet

On Thursday I attended the KY State Track meet in Louisville. It was an exciting experience. My son ran the 800 meter relay and the 800 meter run.

The competition was fierce.  I saw outstanding athletes.  A few of the competitors made their event look so easy.  I was truly impressed with the skill.  One of my favorite events is sprints. You see incredible concentration.  Sprinters appear to me to have different styles when they run.  I think most of them could run through a brick wall.  The hurdle competition is different; I think it is a very graceful event.

Perhaps what amazed me more were the kids that gave it their best no matter what the odds. They participated because they either supported the team and/or truly love the sport.  Those are the kids that I admire the most.  You see the concentration in their faces and the will to continue.  I suspect those kids will be very successful in life. 

Unfortunately, I also witnessed a few sad moments.  In a couple of races a competitor fell down.  In KY if you cause a false start, you are automatically disqualified.  That must be gut wrenching. You practice and work all year to get to this point and in a couple of seconds, you cannot compete. 

The pic below is my son competing in the 800 meter relay.  The head winds were fierce during this part of the day. I was at the same level taking pics and it was strong wind.  He is part of a good team. In fact, his high school placed 3rd.  He did well.


Finally, as I watched these kids compete I saw numerous examples of perseverance.  It is easy to do something you are really good at; it is different when you really have to work at it.  But, I have found that those who work at it have a greater personal reward.  All of these kids should be very proud that they made it to state. 

No comments:

Post a Comment