Sunday, November 6, 2011

Running - It is All About Taking One More Step

For those who follow my Twitter or Facebook accounts know I recently started running again.  I was unable to for years, but after losing weight, I am hitting the track and trails again.  Running is more or less a solitary activity. I prefer solitary exercises because I do not like to depend on anyone else. Hence, I gravitate to running on trails and lifting weights.

My preferred trail is at the Manassas National Battlefield Park and it is called the First Manassas Trail. It has bridges and gentle hills.  Often on this trail you see families, hikers and other runners. 

Today I was running and I went farther than I have ever gone.  I was feeling pretty pleased with myself.  My run back was harder than when I first started (it is always that way).  Having reached my peak, I downshifted to a slow jog. Behind me I could hear two young voices chatting away. They were coming up fast and did not sound winded.  I thought they were young ladies having an easy training day. No, they were slightly older females and had excellent running form. They were not winded and swept by me. One did laugh when I said between heavy breaths "You are making me look bad." 

This is not the first time I felt this way. It has happen on other trails in the park.  So many of the runners I see have such a professional form and make it look so easy.  What I must constantly remind myself is that the only person I should really try to pass is my longest run is me.  In that respect I can see real improvement from when I first started.  I am less sore and going farther with every run.  In the end, that is what it is about - taking at least one more step than my best run.

Back to the ladies. Needless to say, I was impressed.  No doubt in my mind these were serious runners.  As my son tells me form is important, and so are the shoes. Perhaps if I keep running, I will pass someone and they will admire my form and ease in running.  I do not say that to show that I am better, but hope they can see if that gray haired man can do it, then so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment