Friday, April 8, 2011

Washington and the Budget Showdown

Well, I have been following with great interest the budget discussions and posturing by our elected officials.  We live in the greatest country in the world, it is just sometimes our elected leaders do not quite realize it. 


Most interesting is the interviews on the various news shows. Elected representatives appear to focus less on the budget negotiations and proposed cuts, and more on how our side can blame the other side (and make it stick). Perhaps it is me, I find it humorous. And distracting.


Do not get me wrong, I know the stakes are big. However, the stakes are large in a different way. This could be the beginning of how we review and assess the federal budget and spending. I am not sure where it will end and in fact, it may not start if a budget deal is agreed upon. 


So this blog entry is apparently pointless. According to FoxNews, a deal has been reached to fund the federal government through the current fiscal year.  Our democracy, it maybe confusing, it maybe messy, it maybe complex, and it maybe difficult.  It is still the best form of government.  I greatly respect the members of Congress that face these issues every day.


Postscript


As I listen to the talking heads, I am surprised how so many seem to parrot talking points from both political parties. I know good analysts work for media companies, why don't we see and hear from them?


Now I am not claiming to be an expert on the federal budget, but I have read various Congressional documents on the budget process. You can download all of these for free. I even found a way to explain it so an 8 year old can understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment