Monday, May 28, 2018

Meeting Tom Wolfe




A highly accomplished author recently died.  His name is Tom Wolfe.  Be advised, this is not an obituary in the usual sense.  

First, I read Bonfire of the Vanities. It was an outstanding book.  The characters were so real.  Mr. Wolfe also wrote non-fiction.  You know his most famous books so I will skip that. 

No, this one is different. I met Mr. Wolfe in 1999.  I just started at the SC Department of Commerce (DOC) and a Forbes event was scheduled for Charleston.  Two DOC staff were able to attend and I was one. I almost did not get to go.  Mr. Wolfe served as the dinner speaker and the two day meeting was filled with CEO oriented sessions. The venue was Charleston Place. I was looking forward to hearing Mr. Wolfe speak. 

I decided to hit the gym before the evening event. I open the door and I see Mr. Wolfe on a treadmill.  No one else is in the gym.  So I take treadmill next to him, introduce myself, and say I am looking forward to his speech tonight.  

Now this was before iPods and smart phones. The only distraction was music from a console.  

He was very receptive.  At this point is it Tom, not Mr. Wolfe.  We talk for about 20 minutes.  He loved Charleston for its charm (he was born in Richmond, VA).  He talked about his writing and we discussed politics.  Since he lived in New York City i asked him about Ms. Clinton's prospective candidacy for a NY senate seat. He did not think she could win. 

His engagement and kindness stand out to me. He could have left, he could have said he wanted to concentrate on an issue, but he did not.  From my perspective, I had a wonderful conversation with an accomplished author of fiction and non-fiction works. He was a true gentleman.  



No comments:

Post a Comment