Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Key Ingredient

Today I was reading Business Week on my Kindle and ran across an interesting book review.  The link will be posted further in the blog. 

The book is by Tom Mueller and is titled Extra Virginity:
The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil
. The first and sentences really got my attention.  It is: "We Americans are latecomers to the romance of olive oil. Only in recent decades have we embraced it as an aspirational foodstuff, something with which we might dress our microgreens or anoint our grilled branzino."


I grew up in Midland, TX. Those of you who know me know I am half Lebanese. My mother is also Lebanese.  We grew up with Lebanese cooking. 

It just jolted me because I cannot ever remember our home not having olive oil and fresh garlic.  I grew up with all the Lebanese foods and the oil/lemon salad dressing also put on Tabouli.  Given how much Arabic food we had as meals, I was surprised more people did not.  Of course I was very young then.

When my kids were in school years ago my wife cooked an entire Lebanese meal for all kids to expose them to the cuisine.  I would talk about Lebanese traditions as the kids tried (or not) the various foods. You get a real feel for who has an open mind at an early age.

I really do not have much more to add, except my romance for olive oil and Lebanese food started when I was very young and continues to this day.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/book-review-extra-virginity-by-tom-mueller-12082011.html

No comments:

Post a Comment