Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Texting: A New Application

Did you like my play on words?  Okay, I tried.

Well, on to the post.  Most of us that have smart phones also text. We text to our spouse, kids, etc. It is easy and does not require an immediate response.  It is not the most important function of a smart phone to most adults.  Especially when we see our kids text like it is the end of the world. 

This is a different kind of post.  During the Christmas break my alma mater, Texas Christian University (TCU), played in the Poinsettia Bowl on December 21, 2011.  TCU played Louisiana Tech. My father (also a TCU grad) and I watched the game.  We talked throughout the game. He was much calmer than I was.

This is not about the game itself, TCU won 31 to 24.  It is about reconnecting with old friends and technology.

I decided to text two of my frat brothers during the game.  We texted during the entire game.  Yes, my fingers were slow and I missed a key play or two, but it was fun.  My parents could not quite understand.  Texting is foreign to them. 

In fact, we exchanged over 80 texts during the game. What made it very unique is at times it felt like the three of us were watching the game and sitting in the same section.  It was amazing how we agreed on the referee calls, shared in the team triumphs and disappointments.  Both of my friends were far more perceptive than I was. I really enjoyed it.

My suggestion to my friends that enjoy watching their alma mater football games and enjoyed attending games with frat brothers or sorority sisters, text during a game. Simply put, it is fun. Just be sure your phone is charged.

No comments:

Post a Comment