Saturday, September 19, 2020

Desert to you. Home to Me

In September of 2019 I posted this picture and the caption “Desert to you. Home to Me “on my Twitter and Instagram feeds.  

I have been home numerous times in my life.  We always stayed at my parents’ home until they sold it.  In fact, I have stayed in a hotel only twice in Midland, my father’s funeral and my 40th class reunion. 

The reunion stay was truly different.  I had far more free time and drove around looking at old haunts and favored locations.  It was my first time downtown in decades.  And the first time every meal was at restaurant.

So I took my wife to restaurants she never went to before, like Wall Street and Luigi’s.  And yes, neither one changed.  It was like going to lunch with Dad or the family going to dinner in 1976.

We drove by my relatives old homes and went to the refurbished Dennis the Menace Park. 

We visited my old high school and took a tour.  It underwent substantial changes over the past 40 years.  But some of the older sections were preserved.

As I drove around my first day I thought it would be great to move back to Midland.  By the end of reunion, I was not so sure. This is by no means a cut or dig about Midland, but rather I think my interests and what Midland offers are not parallel.

Midland is a wonderful city for raising a family. It has a sense of risk and independence due to the wildcatters (oil men) and ranchers.  The schools were outstanding institutions and the teachers (most of them) outstanding individuals.  This is not a formal city, only the bankers, lawyers, and accountants wear suits.  Oilmen and other professionals did not.

It was the heyday of the company car. You could spot them a mile away, usually a Chevrolet Impala.

Midland was a city of professionals.  It was not an industrial town.  At one time Midland had a Rolls Royce dealership.  A key point people forget, back in the 70’s, the largest independent bank in the US was in the small city of Midland (less than 100, 000 people).

I realize that this sounds very nostalgic.  So let me end with these thoughts. 

I grew up in a wonderful city with so many positive attributes. I have a supportive and loving family.  I developed my writing in Midland.  I had incredible friends.  While I could tell you lots of negative aspects of Midland, they pale in comparison to my love of the city. 

However, I also know I cannot really go back.  The common saying is you cannot go home again, for you are a different individual. It is seldom added that the home also evolved.

You see a desert. I see home. And I always will.




No comments:

Post a Comment