Sunday, August 2, 2020

C-SPAN - Showcasing a Very Successful Public/Private Partnership

Today on C-SPAN I watched an excellent example of a public/private partnership.  It was the return of SpaceX and the partnership with NASA.  I watched most of the coverage today and it was astounding.  

This is a very unique partnership.  While I could try to explain it, I think the following NASA blog post does a far better job.  What I find most interesting is NASA was created in 1958 and SpaceX was established 44 years later.  NASA has about 17,300 employees, SpaceX slightly less than half that. We forget that NASA always relied on partners, but this one is unique and historic.


Watching the C-SPAN coverage today reminded me of the emotions I felt while watching NASA space flight take offs and landings in the 70s and Shuttle flights in the 80s.  Those decades (and future ones) allowed us to see amazing pictures, film, and hear commentary for the most advanced technology in the world.  Yes, we had setbacks, but we always reemerged, stronger and better.  Now we are taking a new and exciting direction to continue exploring space.  (Que: Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of the starship Enterprise...). I know, you thought that too. 

Yesterday I watched the separation of the capsule from the International Space Station. And today I watched the landing and an impressive press conference - all courtesy of C-SPAN.  If you watched, you saw two groups, the NASA team and the SpaceX on a split screen. The following is the link to the C-SPAN video. It is over six hours, but well worth it. In an era of angst and uncertainty, this might remind you of the commitment to excellence and the benefits of public/private partnerships.

And just because it is my blog, from the introduction to every original Star Trek episode:  "Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.  Its five year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life; and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before."

No comments:

Post a Comment