Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Tried and True

In uncertain times we sometimes forget what is important in our professional career.  It is your word, your reputation, and your network. 

Notice each of these start with "your".  Because you earn each one and you own each one.

While all three are important, I will focus on the third one. 

My network is a vital foundation to my success as an economic developer. I relied on it when I lost my job nine years ago. I rely on it for project intelligence.  I rely on it for local intelligence.  And I help my network as often as I can.  Frankly, my network allows me to be a more productive and valuable employee.  

To a certain extent, a network is like a friendship or marriage or a career. You must constantly work at it. And you cannot take it for granted. What can you do?  After all, anything of value takes work. 

The following link to an article in Entrepreneur is an excellent resource for maintaining and expanding a network.  

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/339971

No comments:

Post a Comment