Friday, August 9, 2019

You Know You are (INSERT SOMETHING ODD) when You (INSERT SOMETHING EQUALLY ODD)

Yes, this is likely somewhat of a confusing title to you.  Frankly, it is to me too. 

So here is an example.  Today I confirmed one of my traits.  I am wonky (something odd) because I love history and writing (perhaps not odd things) when I chose to read a Wall Street Journal book review about the Semicolon (definitely odd).  

Yes, I get it. The title does not precisely fit the example.  So it is a work in progress.  Most writing is.  But I digress. 

Some background.  Ms. Cecelia Watson wrote a book titled “Semicolon: The Past, Present, and Future of a Misunderstood Mark".  The book reviewer is Barton Swaim.  I bet this was one of the least read book reviews in past editions of the Wall Street Journal.  However, I sure enjoyed it. The first paragraph is quite humorous. The review gave me some history (Massachusetts and liquor laws) and an excellent discussion about the ever unique semicolon. 

Frankly, I am surprised that anyone can write an entire book on the semicolon. Better yet, someone else actually wrote a review of the book. And finally, of all the stories in the Journal, I would read that one.

Well, that is my odd example. What is yours?

Link to the book review:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/semicolon-review-between-a-pause-and-a-hard-stop-11565301903?shareToken=st2a121b9eac164aadb632b2918584cf6a

No comments:

Post a Comment