Sunday, November 8, 2015

Dependence on Electronics

Unlike most people, I do not take my cell phone with me everywhere I go. I do not access it except for news and a couple of social media sites.  In fact, I turn off the 4G when I am at work.

My Kindle is a different story.  A Kindle is an electronic reading device. 

On the other hand, I usually take my Kindle with me when I think I might have time to read.  So I take it to work almost every day, and when I go places and think I might have some free time. For example, when I take the Metro into DC, I usually take my Kindle and read.  Or when I take the VRE train I take my Kindle.  It allows me to take a break.  

However, on Friday I opened my Kindle and got a disturbing message.  It was something like "battery is critically low".  So I plugged it in for over 18 hours and no change. I could not get access to my books or business magazines.  It really concerned me.  

In addition, I went on line and found several excellent suggestions.  One was doing a hard reset.  I found out I had not held the switch long enough. I also called the Kindle help number. She was very helpful and offered the same advice. 

In the end, the hard reset worked.  However, it was a trying time.  My Kindle is my lifeline to business publications and my books.  I realized how dependent I am on that device.  

Cell phones (if you pay for it) and most other devices have alternatives or backups. For example, if you are trying to access other websites and your laptop is not working, you can try another one.  Redundancy is a very positive aspect of technology today.  Of course you must do backups of your hard drive (frankly I am surprised how few people actually do this).

My Kindle does not offer an easy way to access content from another device.  Yes, I can buy one, but I will have a wait of several days for it to arrive.  Unlike a new phone, which you can generally buy a new one on the same day the old one is lost or stops working.  

Reading is a passion for me personally and professionally. Not having it readily available was a shock and made me feel uncomfortable.  It would be like the only library in a city where I lived burned down.  No access to books, magazines and journals for me or anyone else.  

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer. My Kindle is at least 8 years old. I love it. Unlike most tablets, it is not back-lit so the battery lasts for days or even weeks if you do not turn on the 3G service. I like the brand and the selection of books, magazines and journals. In addition, I can underline key points or quotes, and clip articles.

Of course I will persevere when or if it happens again. Now I realize this is a minor concern to most people. In many respects, they are right.  However, I ask you to go without something you have that gives you pleasure.  It can be a real challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment