Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Hate Young People, But Not For the Reason You Think

I bet that got your attention.  Now do not misunderstand me. It is not for a reason you may expect. 

I know the usual reasons you are thinking about.

Youth have too much energy. No, I admire that.

Youth questions too much. No, that is good.

Youth question too many things and standard operating procedures. No, that too is good.

Youth are impatient. You have never been driving with my parents.

Youth take too many risks. No, I like that.

Youth focuses on the wrong things.  No, they will learn or I may learn.

Youth relies on new technology. So do I. 

Youth is smug when helping us older people adapt to new technology.  Not the ones I know. I do admit, they sure can fix a smart phone fast.

Youth dresses oddly. I suspect they say the same about me.

Youth does not respect authority or institutions. Honestly, can you really blame them?

Youth is far too optimistic.  And what is wrong with that?

Youth gets news from Steve Colbert and Jon something.  Now that one I really do not understand.

Youth protests. That is a cherished tradition in this country.

Youth taste in music is bad. Yes, I would partially agree with that.  Of course I am listening to Lady Gaga on Napster as I write this, so what do I know.

Youth watches weird TV shows.  Yes, but then I suspect they say the same about me.

Youth hears a song on the radio and cannot understand how an older guy like me would know the words.  It is called a new version and I was a youth once.

Then why? Youth reminds me that I am older.  However,  not in ways noted above.

Now you must keep in mind that I had gray hair for decades, back to high school.  No, it is not looking older. I have always looked far older than my age. Several times my girlfriend, now wife, was mistaken for my daughter. My daughter was mistaken for my grand daughter.  Gray hair does that. 

In fact, youth does not even know that they make me feel old. It is one single act, repeated every week in the office.  I cannot read really small print. Of late I had to get bifocals and even with my new glasses I cannot read small print. 

An example. Every week we have a staff meeting.  A project report is printed.  Those of us over 45 cannot read it. it is small print on one page. Youth I work with says, "Oh you can't? Wow, I can. Let me read it to you."  Gee, thanks.

You see, I can do something about almost every complaint you thought I may have. The vision challenge is and will be unresolved. That is youth, unintentionally, reminding me that I am definitely getting older and my body is showing it.

Yes, I know, you want an example. So far this year I have lost weight, took at least 5 inches off my waist, and started running again (not far, but every time is farther and longer than the previous run).  I try to find the good in people and try to consider other points of view (regardless of what my daughter says or thinks).

No, it is the vision issue. Nothing I do will ever change that.  I will never be able to read really small print again unless I hold it close or use a magnifying glass. Again, youth will say Oh, let me help you.

My only consolation. Very soon youth will be older and they will face their youth.  With it will be the very small print that they cannot read.

No comments:

Post a Comment