Thursday, June 9, 2011

Learning Every Day

I was reading Forbes on my Kindle last week and ran across this fascinating interview with Vint Cerf, co-inventor of the Internet and now with Google. It was amazing to me for several reasons. First is how much credit Vint Cerf gives to others and that it was somewhat of a collaborative project. Second, the phenomenal growth of Google. Third, his definition of the internet. And Fourth, the reason for inventing the internet, which follows.

The reason cited by Vint Cerf is "...when the burning question was: How do you devise a voice and data network that can survive a nuclear first strike?" That is surprising. Often overlooked is the commitment by the U.S. Department of Defense to ensure that the president has communication ability no matter what the circumstances.

Vint Cerf readily admits that no one saw the demand and use for the internet. The intellect and creativity of people never ceases to amaze me. As you read the article, note the history of the internet and why it was created. Now look at internet and all the uses/apps. More become available every day. Generally forgotten is that it took major advances in hardware, software, infrastructure, training, etc. Right now I am on a lap top outside editing this post. Approximately 15 years before I would be sitting at a desk in front of a small screen and large box unable to even contemplate that I would have my own blog.

The link is: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0606/opinions-rich-karlgaard-innovation-rules-internet-guru.html

No comments:

Post a Comment